Thursday, December 17, 2009

Nursing Cover

So along the same lines as the baby sling post, I signed up to make a nursing cover at the class offered at the Super Saturday activity at church. I decided that I wanted a nursing cover that was a little more gender neutral. :o)


However, after actually making the baby sling and realizing how much time it took to do I realized I wouldn't be able to teach the sling class and then take the nursing cover one. So I decided that I would go ahead and make it anyway at one the the craft nights that my Gilroy friends and I do once a month. Suprisingly I was able to finish it and didn't even use a pattern. This is one of those sewing projects I was really excited about when I was done with it.

There are a couple of things I would recommend when making a nursing cover.

1) Always make it bigger than what the pattern says. Mine is 26 inches by 38 inches. The nursing cover I bought from Target when I had Payton was way too small I felt like my back was always hanging out because it wasn't wide enough or that Payton was always throwing it around because it was just too short. I think this was the size I did Jennifer's nursing cover when I made hers and she loved the bigger size.

2) Don't be talking to anyone when you are cutting the material. You know that saying, "measure twice and cut once". Well I measured a bunch of times but when it came time to cut I looked at the numbers going down the side of the cutting mat instead of the bottom. I ended up cutting the material about 6 - 8 inches too short. Fortunately, I was doing this project with a few of my friends that are great at sewing and they suggested making the backside of the cover the reverse of the front side. See I was planning on doubling the material on the cover anyway. A print on the front and a solid on the back. Now I have a print with a strip of solid on the front and a solid with a strip of print on the back. I think it looks better than it would have if I wouldn't have messed up. LOL

Anyway, hope you like it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment